Sunday, November 11, 2007

11/11 - Tokyo

Today in the morning hours I took the subway to Ueno, and entered the National Museum of Sciences. This is a huge museum, which has a permanent exhibition, and extras as well. I began my route on the extra exhibition which deals with robotics. It has explained the history of robots from the Japanese traditional mechanical puppets until Honda's Asimo, which is a human like robot. It looks and acts like a human in its way of moving. It goes,runs, serves coffee, etc... I saw an amazing 20 minute show. At the end of the show Asimo demanded a round of applause. He even played football a little bit. The permanent exhibition introduced a couple of topics: space exploration, life on Earth, and huge dinosaur skeletons.
After buying another umbrella the rain finally stopped. I knew it deters. Whom? The rain from falling on me.
Then I made a great walk on Shibuya, which is one of the most central parts of Tokyo. Many young people flow on the street. I saw the statue of a famous dog (long story, exceeds this blog). I found a museum of tobacco and salt. Missing sufficient English explanation I just gawked at the boxes of tobacco, and the detailed explanation in Japanese how they gained salt from the sea water. (There is no salt to mine in Japan).
Late afternoon I arrived at the neighborhood of Roppongi Hills. I was lifted up to the 52nd floor of the Mori Tower. There I found a breath-taking, almost 360 degrees panoramic view of the city. In the middle I saw the Mori Modern Art exhibition. A couple of interesting items I found there. Video games projected on the floor, when both players have drums, and beating the drum navigates the racket.
After the exhibition there was already dark outside, so I saw the city view also at night.
Now I'm back at the hostel, waiting others to return, we go to karaoke today, yeah. That will be really funny.

Asimo:

No comments: