Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Central Park, Metropolitan Museum, MoMA and much more

The day before yesterday in the morning I took the Long Island Rail to Penn station. There I took the subway to Harlem. Not that I wanted to get there, but it just skipped on most stations, so I had to take another train back to 72nd street West side. There I saw the building in which John Lennon lived, and where he was murdered. Just opposite the house in Central Park I was the "Strawberry fields" and all other John Lennon related things and good atmosphere with guitars and singers. From there I walked up inside Central Park to the Belvedere Castle, from where I could see the most beutyful view of the whole park. Later on I visited the Metropolitan Museum, which was much bigger than I estimated. I think it requires a month or so to explore it, so I scanned some exhibitions in 2 hours. Then I met Tomi and Alexandra and we ate some cakes in Demo - a Wiener cafe. There was the huge Apple store just opposite the cafe, so there was no choice, I went there to see with about another 300 people in the same time. Then the Sony shop at 54th was the dessert.

Yesterday I visited the Intrepid, the huge aircraft carrier which parks on the Hudson river at 46th street. That was a great experience. I went all around the huge ship, up to the captain's deck, and down to the hangars. On the deck I saw many aircraft of which the carrier could take one hundred. Interesting film is shown in the theater about the history of the ship which served in the Second World War, and Vietnam as well. In the afternoon I went around Broadway, walked from 86th street all the way down to the Village. Bea came to meet me at 7, and we went to Caroline's comedy. The guy on the stage began with good jokes about Jews, and other people in New York, and then went over to some more sensitive stuff. After talking about the sensitive stuff 5-10 minutes he suddenly asked a girl sitting in the audience about her age. Guess what the answer was? 16! So he became very embarrassed, confused and switched to different topics. But this thing actually has ruined his show. But altogether it was funny.

Today I visited the Museum of Modern Art on the 54th street. That was a little too complex to me to understand this kind of modern art. But I enjoyed very much the exhibition on interior design as well as the museum shop at the end.

I also succeeded to buy pants, a pair of shoes and one t-shirt. Great success.
Tomorrow is my last whole day in the city. I hope to visit Guggenheim Museum and/or Fritz Collection and/or Natural History. I'll see how much I can do in one day.
I enjoy New York very very much. Pictures will be uploaded sometime. Please don't ask about this, please. Good?

No comments: