Thursday, September 21, 2017

Georgia, Day Tour #1 in Kaheti

Lia's guesthouse organized me a driver in the morning, who showed up with his car around 9:30, perfect time after breakfast. He didn't speak any English, so I had to use my Russian again, which is in the meantime got enriched with two and a half words, which was a significant percentage of my vocabulary.

The first stop was a Khrisa Monastery, which dates back to the 6th century, and is still active.




Then we drove to the Pirosmani Museum, which I wouldn't have had any chance to visit without a driver.
This is where the Georgian painter, Niko Pirosmani was born. Today they kept the one-room house, where the entire family of three generations lived.
The museum was interesting, although you can find Pirosmani's paintings in various museums in the country.





In this room lived Niko Pirosmani in his childhood.

The next stop was for some wine tasting at Pheasant's Tears Vinyard. They had a horrible hail earlier this year and ended up losing 75% of their grapes. I was given a guided tour of the vineyard and at the qveveris. I tasted a couple of good wines. I really liked it.



In this qvevery, the jaja and the wine are still fermenting. You can actually see it and listen to it.





Done! Still sober!
Next stop: Lagodechi Park. I registered myself entering the park. There are hikes of multiple days there, but I just did a 2-3-hour light walk. But nevertheless, I had to register, just in case.





That's done too! I enjoyed it, although it was really hot, about 38 degrees.

Coffee anybody?

In the afternoon we got back to Sighnaghi, but just before we hit the town we stopped at the Bodbe Monastery.






The driver put me at the Sighnaghi Museum in the city center. I paid him and said goodbye. For tomorrow he'll organize me a driver, he said, who speaks English, because he lived in Moscow. OK, whatever. We met him at the square, but besides a "Hello" I didn't hear anything in English. But this was a very professional "hello" though.
Tired, but enthusiastic I visited the museum before I went back to Paul's winery for dinner.
It was a good day. :)

No comments: