Friday, March 27, 2009

Boffin

I've read about Boffin of last.fm on webisztan.blog.hu - well, before clicking on that link you'd probably want to learn some Hungarian...
Boffin is a project on last.fm, currently available in its alpha version. It is based on a simple idea.
At the first use Boffin scans your computer searching for music and some metadata on the music. Then it reaches Last.fm/Audioscobbler's database and tries to categorize each song. It creates a cloud of labels.



Pick on one or more tags, click play and Boffin will play only songs of the specified categories.
The idea is cool, much better than shuffle of iTunes. It works on the local disk, but you get it just like a radio.
I downloaded the mac version. Honestly it was disappointing. Got an error during scanning, probably because of some file names in Hebrew (?). I permanently get an error on "cannot create playlist". Then I tried to rescan my computer and then it hasn't found anything...
I am also unclear on some of the labels like "wtf" or "acid jazz"...
Good idea, but still plenty of work to be done.

No comments: