Monday, December 24, 2018

Trang An

Mr okokokokok took us today to Trang An, which is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Conversation in the car:
- Tomorrow we are going to Mai Chau.
- where?
- to Mai Chau.
- huh?
In this stage I understood it was a mistake to mention Vietnamese names. So in order to give it a chance to be understood I started alternating the pronounciation of the name of the village. I pushed my tongue back than closed my lips, no success. Then I was trying to close my mouth and pushing my tongue up and then suddenly down. Nothing. Then I was trying to play with tones... I tried about 5-7 different variations how to tell him the name of the village which is actually quite close to Nimh Binh. Jeruen was helping me with more ways of alternating the possibly correct pronounciation of Mai Chau.
Then suddenly Mr okokokokok somehow recognized the name and with a smiling face turned to us and happily said:
- Ah! Mai Chauo!
- Yes, that.
For our ears the difference was minor. But apparently for a Vietnamese person it's a whole different word.
Anyway. Trang An was beautiful. We rode a boat with some domestic tourists for almost three hours. Here is a little taste of what we experienced.









No comments: