Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Arrival in Georgia and the city of Kutaisi

This year I've decided to take an "adventure" trip on my own. It's not "really" adventurous as if I went to western Africa or some other politically unstable places, but it's still not always straight forward. It's definitely not for the beginner traveler.
From Berlin, I took a WizzAir direct flight to Kutaisi. Thanks to the relatively expensive ticket (which was about third of the price of a normal ticket), I was sitting in an emergency exit row and I could check a luggage up to 32 kg.
After landing I saw the first phenomenon at the passport control. Once a traveler is done, the officer knocks twice on the counter, signing the next person, that he's free, she can approach. The queues were not straight in the British sense of the word. People were positioning themselves quite arbitrarily.
I withdrew some cash and approached the "Georgian Bus" counter to book a shared taxi to the city center. I was surprised to hear, that the taxi actually takes me right to the hotel, so I don't need to take another taxi. The driver didn't speak any English, so I used my broken Russian, which for the matter was quite enough. The 5 laris (apx. 2 Euros) was worth it. Tiny seating, bags somehow are thrown between our feet, dangerous takeovers, cows blocking the road while peacefully chewing and staring at the big nowhere. The taxi navigated its way between them. Abandoned patrol stations, small villages, all suburbs of Kutaisi, the second largest city in Georgia, which has exactly one bus line.

The hotel was nice, although over decorated in a style which would not enter my house ever. But for one night it's ok. In the afternoon I decided not to waste the time and explore the town. I visited the market, the Bagrati Church, and a good restaurant.

Kutaisi Market:

Flour sellers:

Sologuni and other Georgian cheese for bargain prices:

Spices, candles and other useful stuff:

Veggies and old style scales:

I went up with this to the hill:

And then walked to the Bagrati Church:




Downtown:

A gate to a house:

The town, as seen from the Bagrati Church hill:

Theater and some weird statue with fountain:

Riverside:


On every single pylon, there is some kind of cage, where a person can stand and do some maintenance work. Although it's not always clear how he gets up there.

On every single pylon, which leads to a house, there is a counter of this style:

No comments: