Friday, October 10, 2008

10/10 Cairns, Melbourne

English breakfast and fruitcake in Cairns next to the backpacker. Then the shuttle took me to the airport. On the way I said hello to the "raw prawn" restaurant, which is probably the best restaurant in Australia. We just passed it with the shuttle. Out of 3 evenings I ate there 3 times. Excellent seafood and fish never disappoint. On the airport I bought a dictionary of the aussie slang; a small pocket book which I read on the flight to Melbourne. Occasionally I laughed out loudly seeing the most visible aussie expressions.
"Due to the high density of flies that inhabit every nook and cranny of the entire continent, Australians have developed a highly efficient method of speaking that involves opening the mouth just enough to speak the words while minimising the risk of flies intruding into the mouth cavity. The result is the peculiar Australian accent called 'strine'. Australians love colloquialisms and word plays. The results are often very funny, picturesque and invariably robust. Appreciating Australian slang leads to a better understanding of the Australian personality and the Australian sense of humor. It requires a healthy tolerance, a creative mind and a sense of the absurd." (Down Under - Slang Dictionary)
In Melbourne I took the airport shuttle to the city and from there I took the free courtesy bus to Richmond which is quite close to the city and the St. Kilda as well. I stay here in a backpacker which is really cool. I had dinner in St. Kilda in an Italian restaurant.

Some highlights of the pocketbook:

fossil: old person
bee's knees: the greatest
blue arsed fly: very busy
blue heeler: policeman
cake-hole: mouth
chew and spew: take-away food
duck's dinner: drinking without eating
hit frog and toad: depart
ace: excellent

And the winners are:
acting/going the raw prawn: pretending to be ignorant
be able to eat the crutch out of a low-flying duck: very hungry
/Thanks, Ben/

Can't write here the better ones...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melbourne!!!!! Say hi to my uncles and cousins!!!!!! :-)