Thursday, October 9, 2008

9/10, Cairns Rain Forests

After an excellent hazelnut-cake and tea for breakfast in a cafe I took the skyrail from Cairns station. The Skyrail is a cable car which took me just a few meters above the most beautiful rainforest. This is exactly the end of the dry period of the year, so no rain, just the green forest. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to the final destination: Kuranda. There are two stops where I got off for a short rainforest walk, which were guided by rangers. Kuranda is a small village in the mountains. I saw a wildlife park there including one of the biggest butterfly sanctuary of the World, koalas and birds. Obviously this small creatures didn't pose themselves well to the camera, they cannot say cheese and cannot smile... There are some huge ones, others have very special patterns on their wings. The village is full of galleries of beautiful aboriginal art. The way back I did with the historical scenic rail.






No comments: