Sunday, September 20, 2009

Stand clear of the closing doors, please!

This was my first whole day in New York. It's easy to get around, I don't even need the map. I toured over the village, drunk a terrible lemonade for which I even payed 3 dollars. Went up to the Times Square, then walked back to Union Square. Great sunny weather, a simple t-shirt did it. I had lunch in an Italian restaurant serving gorgonzola cheese with portebello style mushrooms and excellent salads. At the nearby table an old man was eating colorful candies for dessert which he pulled out from his jacket's pocket. :-)
I saved my eating capabilities to the evening. It was worth it all.
At 6 I went over to Tomi's and Josephine's home on east 70th street. They are very kind people. The jacket was on place, good that I bought it with me. I was glad to see that not everybody was wearing a tie. There were 17 guests which were served by 2 housekeeper ladies who were hired for this purpose.
The evening began in the hall of the kitchen where we drunk some wine, ate some cheese and other stuff. Then we went over to the piano room where Sarah - one of the guests from Boston - played Chopin in remembrance of the 200th birthday of the composer. Then we went up to the dining room where the table was already organized. The guests were from the Goldman Sachs (Josephine's work), from the UN, and other respectful employers. Tomi and Josephine sat on the opposite sides of the long table (actually of the room). On the walls of the dining room remarkable paintings were hanging. I thought it was a nice two stories house, until Tomi decided to show me around.
Ok, dear reader, just sit back. This house has six floors. Each floor serves different purposes. A floor where Tomi works, 2 floors for sleeping and bathrooms, one for the living- and dining room, one for the kitchen and the piano, and one... I forget, but there were six. The floors are connected with a wooden two staircases and an elevator, which was the original elevator of the building dating back to its construction in 1910. By the way the house is located just opposite of Woody Allan's house.
Some words about the menu: Soup with traditional kneidelach, then meat with meet: roasted lamb, duck breast, chicken items, salads, potatoes, etc...
The dessert was made of 5 courses: pears with cinnamon, Pavlova, honey cake, and another 2 kind of cakes.
We killed'm all :-)
Then we were sitting in the living room where the impressive china collection is located with Herendi chinas all around, and paintings on the walls.
I have never been in such party in such castle in my life. That was an real experience for me.
Shana Tova!
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I was walking around without my camera, which turns out to be a great fun. For photos of New York use Google. They are far better than the ones I make. So I decided to get rid of the camera for the first days.

3 comments:

shimon said...

Nice place ! like mine :)

Unknown said...

no se apoye contra la puerta

Edihal said...

You know how it goes: whatever you do on Rosh hashana is a sign for the whole year. And this one sounds like a good start!