Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ray's pizza and others.

I must inform the reader with great disappointment that the famous Ray's Pizza 6th avenue corner 11th street doesn't rock at all. It's a big big slice of pizza with tons of oil on it. I really don't understand why is that so famous.
Anyway. To the point.
Yesterday evening I was hanging out quite a bit. I began in a Cuban Restaurant in the east Village where I wanted to order:
- Excuse me, Sir, what is a paella del choriros?
- It's just like paella de vormachinez but a little more spicy.
- Which is?
- Oh. sorry. vormachinez is with crullos and fartios, you know sir, fish!
(Oh, fish I know that!)
- Ok, that will be fine.

That was a fantastic paella. Rice with kinds of fish. Tons of primiadilez and kelisavertos in it ;-) or something similar. Next place was a live music bar, in a basement of a building. Good music, much fun. Then the Fat Cat also with live music.
Today I went to "track and trails", a sports shop in the downtown. I finally bought a couple of things: a small backpack, a raincoat, and fast-dry pants.
I ate lunch at Balthazar on Spring street, quite close to Broadway corner. That was a fantastic place. If you don't like gourmet food, turn to the next paragraph. Entree: Oysters: 6 fresh oysters samples: 3 from the West- and 3 from the East-coast. All of different types. Then I ate a huge beef steak fillet made medium-rare which tasted awesome. That was really delicious. Dessert I choose Pavlova with warm berries. That was the best Pavlova ever in my life, including all New Zealand and Australia. Fantastic.
After having eaten all these I went to Wall Street's museum of American Finance. All about stock-, bond- and commodities exchange, their history. The dollar, notes and interesting facts about them. This is one of the few non-boring museums which I rarely see.
Later on I walked all the way up to Chinatown and Little Italy. Chinatown is just like Hong Kong, Chinese occasionally tempered by a little bit of English. Amazing markets selling unknown fruits, and all Chinese stuff. Just one street ahead I crossed to the other side and found myself in Little Italy, where the best Italian restaurants are located.

2 comments:

Edihal said...

Everything sounds really good! I am glad you are having fun.
Oysters sound nasty but i would've loved that pavlola.
It must be a funny universe, that NYC.

Eitan said...

oysters are great, the best is to eat them while drinking Cava.